Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Pic of the week: Rain


THE MINDFUL GALLERY'S PIC OF THE WEEK
Rain. Video by Christine Eaton

The mindful anchor in this photo: The sound of rain, lots and lots of rain.

(What is a mindful anchor? When we practice mindfulness we want to have an anchor, notice when we stray from it, come back to it, and doing so over and over again. This is oftentimes the breath in sitting meditation, but it can be nearly any point of focus that allows us to find stillness and peace)

For those of us in the Northeast US today there's a good chance we awoke to the sound of rain. We've had a little dry spell, and so it was welcome. As I did my morning meditation my attention kept wandering to the sounds of the rain, which I find incredibly soothing. I decided to make the sound my anchor instead of the breath. I then went to the porch and took a video to capture the sound for this week's "anchor" installation.

When you find yourself in nature, make an effort to hear the birds, the wind, the rain, the rustling leaves. An alternative to "smelling the roses".





No comments:

Post a Comment