Thursday, October 1, 2015

Mindful Reiki: The anatomy of a session

Image by johnhain
In an earlier post I wrote about integrating mindfulness and Reiki in a session where both myself and the client are mindfully meditating. In this post we'll take a look at what you could expect during such an appointment.

1) You may not know it, but before you even enter the room I've been practicing some form of mindfulness, whether breathing, body scan, or in setting up the room (because you can be mindful doing just about anything). I do this to get grounded, to calm down, and to prepare myself for "healing mode". Imagine if I were frantically rushing to get to our appointment and how that could transfer on to you. We are talking energy here, and everything counts. If you come in frantic, stressed, etc (of which at least one is likely), I'm more equipped to handle it if I'm working within a framework of mindfulness. 

2) Once you arrive there is the intake process which can last up to 15 minutes. This is where I'll want information about why you're coming for Reiki/Mindfulness and answer any questions you have.

3) You would then lay on the table and we'd begin with a short breathing meditation to draw awareness to the body, laying the groundwork for relaxation.

4) Depending on what the issues were that you expressed in the intake, I would place my hands in various positions on the body to help facilitate the letting go of anything (energetically) that is contributing to any physical or emotional pain. If you're not in any discomfort and are getting Reiki as an upkeep, preventative measure or to help recover from a strenuous physical or emotional event (I work with athletes, for example) I will of course work with that as well.

5) As I place my hands I would ask that you draw your attention to that area of the body as I work on it. As thoughts come and go, you would note those thoughts and then come back to that area. As I move around the body I would ask that your awareness move as well. I may also ask you to reflect on questions like, what does this area of the body feel like? is there stress or contentment? I may prompt you to have gratitude for your body. I may ask you to consider having compassion for those areas that are painful or heavy.

As you can see, it takes work on your part and is very engaging.

6) At the end of the session I will offer feedback and make recommendations on a personal practice based on your situation/goals.

Image by johnhain
If you're familiar with mindfulness techniques you'll notice that this is a modified body scan, with Reiki. At the end of the session you're likely to feel more grounded, literally. Your body might feel a little heavier because we've taken a bit of your awareness and brought in back into your anatomical home.

If you're interested in discussing or trying a session,contact me at christine@themindfulgallery.com or 508-934-6040
30 and 60min sessions are available on a sliding scale.

Be well

No comments:

Post a Comment